How long has it been since you have been shopping for a grandfather clock, or even seriously thinking about the many choices available to a grandfather clocks shopper.
Choices and features for buyers of grandfather clocks are increasing all the time, and there is every reason to expect this trend to continue. Here are just some of the features that have either been introduced only in the last few years or are finally gaining in popularity:
1. Automatic night shut-off.
2. Increased choice of chimes, including Westminster, Whittington, St. Michaels, Ave Maria, Ode to Joy and Bim Bam Chimes.
3. Automatic winding mechanical clocks – benefits of a mechanical movement but one never has to wind it.
4. Illuminated dials.
5. Lit insides of the center of the grandfather clock
6. Much more of a selection of less expensive quartz or battery operated grandfather clocks.
7. More of a selection of smaller or shorter grandfather clocks, also known as grandmother clocks, with more designs which act as great home decor accent pieces.
8. Much more of a stark contrast between the mass market cheaply made imports from China and other countries, along with generally decreasing prices for even the nicest clocks as domestic makers feel both price pressure and take advantages of sources for lower cost components.
While clocks might appear to be a somewhat staid market, the same pressures for technological innovation, international competition, and price pressures are at work in this market. The grandfather clock market is changing all the time.